- Masters in Public Health Online Scholarships for international and Developing countries students 2014Posted 3 months ago
- Sweden : PhD position in Ecosystem EcologyPosted 3 months ago
Sweden : 8 vacant PhD student positions
8 vacant PhD student positions at the Department of Organic Chemistry. Ref.nr SU 433-32/12. Deadline for applications: May 2, 2012.
The Department of Organic Chemistry has an extensive research program. This research program covers many areas of experimental and theoretical chemistry including metal catalysis, asymmetric synthesis, as well as several areas of bioorganic chemistry such as carbohydrate chemistry, nucleotide chemistry and enzyme chemistry.
The eight vacant positions are within the following areas
- One position in Structure and interactions of carbohydrates and proteins by NMR spectroscopy and computational chemistry. Programming skills and/or a background in NMR spectroscopy alternatively computational chemistry are recommendable.
- One position in New enzymes in organic synthesis via directed evolution.
- One position in Combination of metal and enzyme catalysis in organic synthesis via dynamic kinetic resolution.
- One position in Oxidation via low-energy electron transfer. Development of green oxidation methodology via a biomimetic approach.
- One position in Theoretical chemistry with emphasis on modeling organic and/or enzymatic reactions.
- One position in Development of environmentally benign, metal-free reactions in organic synthesis.
- One position in Homogeneous and heterogeneous transition-metal catalysis in organic synthesis.
- One position in Selective green catalysis.
About doctoral studies
The overall duration of doctoral studies should not be longer than the equivalent four-year fulltime education.
For admission the candidates should have approved the advanced level examination, completed at least 240 credits of course requirements, of which at least 60 credits at advanced level, or have otherwise acquired equivalent knowledge either locally or abroad. Particularly desirable is good knowledge of organic chemistry and general basic subjects of relevance for the researching studies.
(A full academic year corresponds to 60 credits).
For non EU residents a GRE test is required. Proficiency in English, for non-native English speaking applicants should be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- IELTS score (Academic) of 6.0 or more (with none of the sections scoring less than 5.0)
- TOEFL score of 550 or more (computer based test 213, internet based 79)
- Cambridge/Oxford – Advanced or Proficiency level
Specific entry requirements apply according to the general syllabus for research studies within the subject organic chemistry or, where appropriate, spectroscopy or theoretical chemistry.
On admission to research studies major consideration shall be paid to the degree of ability to benefit from the research studies.
Terms of employment
Student positions are financed by study grants during the first two years and are subsequently transformed to employment as doctoral students.
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and gives equal opportunities for all.
Appointment regulations for research training at Stockholm University are available in Swedish at: www.regelboken.su.se/pub/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1031&a=16354.
The Higher Education Board’s handbook for PhD students is available at:
Please note that no appeal may be lodged against a decision to appoint a person for a position as doctoral student.
For further information about the position, please contact
(position 1) Professor Göran Widmalm, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone +46-(0)8-16 3742,
(position 2, 3 & 4) Professor Jan-Erling Bäckvall, email@example.com, telephone
(position 5) Professor Fahmi Himo, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone +46-(0)8-16 1094,
(position 6) Docent Berit Olofsson, email@example.com, telephone +46-(0)8-674 7264,
(position 7) Docent Belén Martín-Matute, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone
+46-(0)8-16 1191, and
(position 8) Professor Hans Adolfsson, email@example.com, telephone +46-(0)8-16 2484.
Anqi Lindblom-Ahlm (Saco-S) and Lisbeth Häggberg (Fackförbundet ST), telephone +46-(0)8-16 2000 (switch board), and Gunnar Stenberg (SEKO), telephone +46-(0)70-316 43 41.
- application form:www.su.se/polopoly_fs/1.3462.1320939319!/DOCTORAL.pdf,
- a personal cover letter describing your expectations and goals for this training, as well as indication on which of the positions you are applying for,
- certified copies of examination certificates and university course records, together with an English translation where applicable
- certified copies of certificates evidencing your proficiency in English language
- one specimen of your independent work (paper) which you wish to invoke,
- references (2 at least),
- eventually, other documents that you want to invoke.
Welcome with your application, marked with the reference number
SU 433-32/12, no later than May 2, 2012, to:
Department of Organic Chemistry
SE-106 91 STOCKHOLM
or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documents to be sent electronically should be as one file in Word or PDF format.
Application Deadline : 2 May 2012