With its development-oriented postgraduate study programs, the DAAD promotes training specialists from developing and newly industrialized countries. Well-trained local experts, who are networked with international partners, play an important part in the sustainable development of their countries. They are the best guarantee for a better future with less poverty, more education, and health for all. The scholarships offer foreign graduates from developing and newly industrialized countries from all disciplines and with at least two years of professional experience the chance to take a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognized German university, and in exceptional cases to take a doctoral degree and to obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
Who can apply?
Graduates with at least two years of professional experience from the following countries: list of eligible countries
What can be funded?
Individual scholarships exclusively for Postgraduate courses in Germany that are listed on the “List of all Postgraduate courses with application deadlines 2023/24”.
Duration of the funding
12 to 42 months (dependent on study program)
- Depending on an academic level, monthly payments of 861 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates
- Payments towards health, accident, and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of the family
- Candidates fulfill the necessary academic requirements and can be expected to complete a study program in Germany (above-average result for the first academic exam – top performance third, language skills)
- Candidates have a Bachelor’s degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject
- Candidates have at least two years of professional experience
- Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship
- EPOS Brochure 2023/2024 “Development-Related Postgraduate Courses – Educating Professionals for Sustainable Development”