International DAAD Civil Society Leadership Award in Germany 2015
DAAD is offering Civil Society Leadership Awards to obtain a postgraduate university degree, a Master’s or LL.M degree. The duration of funding depends on the standard period of study of the Master’s or Magister degree course, however it is for a maximum of 24 months. The programme aims to support individuals who demonstrate both academic and professional excellence and seek to become civil society leaders in their home communities.
Funding is provided for the completion of one of the following;
- Global Political Economy
- Democratic Governance
- Civil Society
- Environmental Governance
- European and International Law
- International Relations
Awards are available to obtain a Postgraduate university degree, a Master’s or LL.M degree.
- Excellently-qualified graduates and students who have completed a first degree (Bachelor, Diploma or comparable academic degree) at the latest by the time they commence their scholarship-supported study programme.
- As a rule, applicants should have taken their final examinations no longer than six years before the time of application.
- Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the time of application cannot be considered.
- A Scholarship Award Letter from the DAAD is only valid if you have been admitted to study at the desired host university.
- To study in Germany, a good knowledge of German and/or English is usually an essential precondition.
- A language test is taken as part of the application procedure. The language test takes place in each country for all applicants (where necessary at different locations). When you apply for your chosen study programme, you are usually required to prove that you have an adequate knowledge of the language of tuition.
- You can find out exactly what language skills are required in the university’s study and admissions regulations.
- Scholarship payments of 750 euros a month
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-off study allowance
- Where necessary and required, payment for a language course (2 or 4 months)
- Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits: Contribution towards tuition fees that may be charged by the university (max. 500 euros per semester) and Monthly rent subsidy. To enable scholarship holders to learn German in preparation for their stay in the country, the following services are offered:
- Payment of course fees for the online language course “Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO)” for six months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- Where necessary, language course (2 or 4 months) before the start of the study visit; the DAAD decides whether to fund participation and for how long depending on German language skills and project. Participation in a language course is compulsory
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the scholarship period
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test which has either been taken in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the funding period
- Reimbursement of the fee for English certification, e.g. TOEFL, IELTS or GRE tests, insofar as this is provably required by the relevant study programme.
Maximum up to Twenty Four Months.
- The mode of application is online.
- Applications are reviewed by an independent selection committee consisting of specialist scientists who interview applicants personally in the capital city of their home country whenever possible. The most important selection criteria are:
- Academic achievements
- Convincing academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany.
- After the initial review, short-listed semi-finalists will be invited for an interview with a professional selection committee and DAAD and CSLA representatives, either online or in person, and may be asked to provide additional essays regarding their career goals. Applicants will be notified of their application status by the DAAD representatives.
Application Deadline: 30 Nov 2014