Gallaudet University has partnered with the Nippon Foundation to provide international students with Nippon World Deaf Leadership Scholarship (WDL) and the Sasakawa International Scholarships for the academic year 2022-2023.
This scholarship program has exclusively been organized for international students from developing countries that are deaf and hard of hearing and want to pursue their higher education at Gallaudet. The scholarship will cover tuition, room, board, medical insurance, and a stipend to cover books, supplies, laundry services, and transportation.
Gallaudet University is a private federally chartered research university in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1864 as a grammar school for deaf and blind children. It is a university for the deaf and hard of hearing education. The university is ranked 127thamong National Universities.
Why choose to study at Gallaudet University? The Gallaudet University is a bilingual, diverse, multicultural institution of higher education that ensures the intellectual and professional advancement of deaf and hard of hearing individuals through American Sign Language and English. The Gallaudet community is very inclusive and includes students, faculty, teachers, and staff, all of whom share certain common goals and values that we all believe enrich our academic environment.
The Gallaudet University will award the selected scholars funds to cover tuition, room, board, medical insurance, and a stipend to cover books, supplies, laundry services, and transportation.
Application Deadline: The applications for admissions are rolling until spaces are filled out. However, programme-specific application deadlines are applicable. Students are suggested to observe the same.
- University or Organization: Gallaudet University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Undergraduate or Graduate
- Award: Education Fund
- Number of Awards: NA
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in the USA.
- Eligible Countries: Applicants from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Students can apply for any study programme offered at Gallaudet University.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants must be qualified and academically deserving deaf international students in at least their second year of a degree program at Gallaudet.
- Priority will be given to students from developing countries.
- How to Apply: Students are required to submit an online application for admission.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Official transcript(s) will be required following acceptance to the University, sent from your school
- A short essay, 250-500 words long
- A letter of recommendation from a current or former teacher
- Admission Requirements: The applicants must meet the entry requirements of the university.
- Language Requirement: The applicants must have a 70% or better score on the Sign Language Interview, which assesses basic American Sign Language skills.