Applications for the 2017 Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP) to conduct independent study or research at one or more of the Smithsonian’s 19 units and research centers. The program is open to US citizens and non-US citizens.
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program supports independent research and study related to Smithsonian facilities, experts, or collection for the increase and diffusion of knowledge.
The Smithsonian Institution, established in 1846 “for the increase and diffusion of knowledge,” is a group of museums and research centers administered by the Government of the United States.
Course Level: The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program is open to:
- Graduate Students
- Predoctoral Students
- Postdoctoral Researchers and
- Senior Researchers
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in all academic fields of study.
Scholarship Award: Stipend Allowances and Taxes:
The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship award amounts are as follows:
Graduate Student Fellowship**: $7000.00 for 10 weeks
Predoctoral Student Fellowship: $32,700 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowship: $48,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Senior Researcher Fellowship: $48,000 annually; research allowance up to $4,000 total.
Fellows in earth/planetary sciences and conservatory sciences are eligible to receive up to $5,000.00 over the amounts above.
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for fellowship:
The program is open to US citizens and Non-US citizens. Applicants whose native language is not English are expected to have the ability to write and converse fluently in English. All application materials must be presented in English (foreign transcripts may be translated, see below).
The Pastor current fellowship recipients are eligible to apply for another award.
Who is Ineligible?
- No employee or contractor of the Smithsonian Institution may hold a Smithsonian fellowship during the time of his/her employment or contract.
- A fellowship may not be awarded to any person who has been employed by or under contract to the Institution in the previous year without the prior approval of the Office of Fellowships.
How to Apply: The following must be uploaded with your application:
- No more than one page
- Research Proposal
- The full statement of your research you plan to undertake at the Smithsonian
- Maximum six pages double spaced (not including references)
- Paper size should be 8.5 by 11 inches (210 mm x 297 mm)
- 12 point type
In preparing your proposal, be sure to provide and address the following:
- The importance of the work both in relation to the broader discipline and to your own scholarly goals
- Justification for conducting your research at the Smithsonian and utilization of research facilities and resources
- Identification of the member of the Smithsonian research staff who might serve as your principal advisor/host
- Identification of potential co-advisor(s) and/or consultant(s) if applicable.
Application Deadline: 2017 Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program: December 1, 2016